H is for Health part 2 - Exercise!

4-H Healthy Living

H is for Health - Part 2 - Exercise! 

'

As I am sitting on my front porch working this morning in the sunshine it seems like the perfect time to talk about getting up and MOVING! Now more then ever it is important for us all to get moving. I know, I know, I know... we are stuck at home but we don't need a gym to get exercise.

Most 4-Hers are on the move with their 4-H projects so let's start there. 
Feeding cows, walking pigs, woodworking are all great ways to exercise the question is how to make that exercise a 4-H project. Here are a couple of ideas:
1. The easiest way to turn your 4-H project into a Healthy Living project would be to wear a pedometer, a watch that counts steps or if you have a phone it probably counts steps. Using that information you can do a poster for the fair on how you are getting exercise by working on 4-H projects. You could make a chart showing which chores/projects burn the most calories. 
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, cloud, tree, horse, outdoor and nature

2. Move Across Missouri is a program that lets 4-Hers compete in getting the most exercise. It started in February but you could have a completion against other 4-Hers on who gets the most spots in while in lockdown. Swine or goat kids could see who walks their animals the most steps.
Richland 4-H Club - Posts | Facebook

3. Walk your dog and practice obedience with them. This will help you get ready for the dog show at the fair and you count your steps for you and your dog. Challenge a 4-Her in the dog project to a step challenge. 
Image may contain: 1 person, dog

I get 99% of my exercise by working in the barn and riding my horses but these days I feel like I could use a little more so here are some easy ways to get moving at home. 

1. Take a walk. Of course, you have to be in a safe place and safe distance for other people but fresh air and walking is just good for your body and mind. 
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature
This is Kaleb taking a break from classes by walking his dog at the Pouder Canyon. 

2. Yoga! This is my COVID-19 lockdown goal. I want to do yoga but I have never been to a class because I feel silly so now is the time. This is YOGA for Kids and it's almost easy enough for me and although it's a little silly I like it! Here is day one of 30 Days of Yoga I may try but it's hard for me to be as serious as this seems to be but it's for beginners so maybe I can do it.  
4-H Yoga for Kids
Arkansas 4-H has some resources that you might want to check out 

3. DANCE PARTY! In my family, this happens in the ally of the barn and ever planned but for some families cranking up the music in the kitchen and letting lose is where the fun happens. Dancing is a great way to get the littles' wiggles out and can be great break in between school assignments.
Minion dance | Minions, Cute minions, Minion dance 

However you decide to exercise during this time be sure to MOVE! The CDC list many reasons that exercise during this time is more important than ever so let's make it a 4-H project!! 

Comments

Popular Posts