The 4-H Chicken Project


Here is a project that I love. Growing up I always had a pet rooster. They weren't your average rude roosters they were friendly pets and they were cool! My roosters were always at the top of the class at the fair because they didn't have other chickens to fight with and were never in a cage. I wonder now how we kept the dogs from casing them because I can't even keep a barn cat around nowadays. Anyways, I loved my roosters so much that once when I was at a horse show Marty (my Crested Polish) got stepped on by a horse and broke his leg. My friend that was doing chores for us took him to the vet and they cast his leg. I'm proud to say Marty lived to show at the fair the next summer.

Ok, enough reminiscing! You can do so much with the chicken project so let's get started!

Applied Taxidermy and Kosher Law - OU Kosher Certification
This isn't Marty but this is exactly what he looked like!

 The obvious thing to do with your chickens is to show them at the fair. Ther is breeding and market classes depending on the type of chicken you have; Here is a good resource for showing poultry from Michigan 4-H. Although we haven't shown poultry like this is the past we are moving in this direction. Poultry showmanship is fun and takes practice so if this looks like something you would like to do now is the time to start working with your birds!

What else can 4-Hers do with the 
chicken project besides showing in the fair?

. Eggs!! You can show your eggs at the fair but you can also make a business out of selling them. Ther is definitely a market to farm-fresh eggs. I cooked up 18 Double G Farm eggs this morning and I can tell you there is no comparison to the store-bought eggs, farm eggs are just better. Check out the Maine Egg Project page that has tons of resources to get your business going. If you would like to buy laying hens but aren't sure what breed is best for you, look at the site about breeds of chickens.
10 x 8" FRESH FARM EGGS FOR SALE HENS CHICKENS FREE RANGE METAL ...
2. Chicken woodworking projects could include anything from a chicken coop to a nesting box. Here is a site with instructions for a very cool Treadle Feeder.
Making Chicken Nesting Boxes | HGTV
3  Cooking is a project and if you raise meat birds and have some favorite recipes then doing a cooking demonstration at a club meeting or a poster of your meal from start (chick) to finish (table) would be a GREAT exhibit at the fair.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Vegetables - Jessica Gavin

Another cool thing about chickens is you don't have to live on a farm to have them. Most cities/towns have a set number of chickens people can have in their yard. 

I hope you guys enjoy this project as much as I did as a kid and explore all the different projects you can do with your chickens!


Comments

Popular Posts